Crisp Sugar Cookie Mix Recipe
Eneatha Attig Secrest of Mattoon, Illinois has relied on the mix for these light sugar cookies for years, even selling it at bazaars. "I package it in a plastic bag tied with pretty ribbon and attach a cookie cutter and copy of the recipe," she notes.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:96 servings
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Colored sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (8 cups total).
- 2. To prepare cookies: In a large bowl, cream butter. Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually add 4 cups cookie mix; mix well. Cover and chill 2-3 hours or overnight.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Bake 7-9 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen per batch.
1 serving (2 each) equals 74 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC