I rely on this mix for these light sugar cookies for years, even selling it at bazaars. I package it in a plastic bag tied with pretty ribbon and attach a cookie cutter and copy of the recipe. —Eneatha Attig Secrest, Mattoon, Illinois
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; mix well. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (8 cups total).
- To prepare cookies: In a large bowl, cream butter. Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually add 4 cups cookie mix; mix well. Cover and chill 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired. Bake 7-9 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen per batch.
Originally published as Crisp Sugar Cookie Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p19
Reviews for Crisp Sugar Cookie Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review