Crisp Sand Stars Recipe
With a subtle almond flavoring and a whole almond in the center, these thin crispy cookies should play a starring role on your Christmas cookie platter.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Unblanched whole almonds
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolks, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. star cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press an almond in the center of each. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sugar.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 41 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 55 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC