Crisp Onion Relish
I take this relish to picnics for people to use as a condiment on hamburgers and hot dogs. It adds a special zip!
—Marie Patkau, Hanley Saskatchewan
48 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 4 medium sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Place onions in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the sugar,
- water and vinegar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Pour over onions.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Drain and discard liquid from onions. Combine mayonnaise and celery
- seed; add to onions and mix well. Store in the refrigerator. Yield:
- about 6 cups.