Crisp Lemon Sugar Cookies
I have had this recipe for about 40 years, and in that time I've made a few changes. These cookies are my husband's favorite, so I bake them for him almost every week.
One of my daughter's friends still remembers having these special treats when she stopped in on her way home from school.
-Dollie Ainley, Doniphan, Missouri
39 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and
- baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart
- onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 96 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.