I have had this recipe for about 40 years, and in that time I've made a few changes. These cookies are my husband's favorite, so I bake them for him almost every week. One of my daughter's friends still remembers having these special treats when she stopped in on her way home from school. -Dollie Ainley, Doniphan, Missouri
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Crisp Lemon Sugar Cookies in Reminisce May/June 2001, p49
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Crisp Lemon Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review