- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Raisins, halved
- Red-hot candies
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be soft). Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter and place on greased baking sheets. Add raisins for eyes and red-hots for buttons. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Crisp Gingerbread Cutouts in Taste of Home December/January 1998, p13
Reviews for Crisp Gingerbread Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2015
"I really liked these easy not to many ingredients but tasted good . I gave as gifts and hung on my tree , thanks for sharing!"