Crisp Cheese Twists Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup water. Toss with a fork (if dough is dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until dough forms a ball). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 11-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Cut into 5-in. x 1/2-in. strips. Carefully twist each strip and place on greased baking sheets, pressing ends down.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately sprinkle twists with Parmesan cheese. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 7 dozen.
1 serving (3 each) equals 63 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 115 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.