Crisp Cajun Panfish
My mother was happiest with a fishing rod in her hands, and her method of frying her catch was always a hit. Whenever someone gives us fresh fish or if I buy some, I use this wonderful recipe. —Gayle Cook, Minot, North Dakota
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pounds bass or perch fillets
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five
- ingredients. Add fish, one piece at a time; shake to coat. Whisk
- eggs and water in a shallow dish. Place potato flakes in another
- shallow dish. Dip each fillet in eggs, then coat with potato flakes.
- Dip fish again in eggs and potato flakes.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook fish in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish
- flakes easily with a fork, adding oil as needed. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces equals 415 calories, 16 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium,