Crisp and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
In the mood for homemade cookies? These crisp, chewy treats are a delicious way to show someone you care. “The original treasured recipe is the only one my grandmother wrote down,” says Janet Hall of Clinton, Wisconsin.
Freeze any remaining cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw cookies at room temperature before serving.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars. Beat
- in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed
- mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on an ungreased baking
- sheet. Flatten with a fork. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 180 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.