Crisp 'n' Tender Corn Waffles
I like to serve these crisp, golden brown waffles with honey and applesauce. For a change-of-pace, serve the waffles topped with creamed chicken. It's a perfect meal for busy days. —Maxine Reese, Candler, North Carolina
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 20 min.
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for
- 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine
- the milk, corn, egg yolks and oil; stir into dry ingredients just
- until combined.
- Beat reserved egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls into a preheated waffle iron; bake
- according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 16
Nutritional Facts: 2 waffles equals 301 calories, 17 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 395 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.