- 2 small English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Optional toppings: minced fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts and additional sliced green onion
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, mix marinade ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or overnight.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Top as desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Crisp & Spicy Cucumber Salad
"This is such a great, fresh side. I love to serve this along side Asian-inspired dishes."
"made without the jalepenos but was still too hot for my taste. Otherwise delicious and will make again. love the variety of veggies in this salad. Very colorful presentation."
"Delicious. I served this on individual lettuce leaves. I used Champagne vinegar, and added 2 TBS of sweet chili sauce instead of the soy sauce. I chose chopped peanuts for my topping. Thank you, Alivia, for this tasty recipe."
"Very attractive salad! Cool and crisp taste in spite of the spice! Definitely a keeper."
"Made this for a lunch party and everyone raved about it."
"Very refreshing. Loved the sweet asian inspired dressing. I added some grape tomatoes to it and omitted the onion. Will keep this for next summer's cook outs."
"unique blend of flavors. refreshing and crisp. hint of hotness with cayenne and jalapenos"