Crimson Crumble Bars Recipe
Baking is my favorite pastime. These moist cranberry bars have a refreshing sweet-tart taste and a pleasant crumble topping. They're great as a snack or anytime treat. —Paula Eriksen Of Palm Harbor, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cranberries and pineapple; bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the berries pop. Remove from the heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- 3. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until firm; cool for 10 minutes.
- 4. Pour fruit filling over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
One bar equals 152 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC