Our Test Kitchen home economists created these savory snacks that kids will enjoy dipping in marinara sauce. A cookie cutter makes it easy to cut the butterfly shapes from crescent roll dough.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 giant Slim Jim snack sticks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup marinara sauce, warmed
- Unroll crescent dough on a lightly floured surface; roll into a
- 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Seal seams. Cut with a butterfly cookie
- cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking
- sheet. Press a snack piece in the middle of each butterfly;
- carefully pinch dough around the long sides of snack piece.
- Brush wings with butter. Sprinkle with cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for
- 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm with marinara
- sauce. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 130 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.