- For crepes, in a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter.
- Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons
- batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat
- bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds
- longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, adding
- butter to skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed
- paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons butter. Stir in
- the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; gradually add the
- milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in the cream and 3/4 cup Gruyere
- cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and shallot in 2 tablespoons butter
- until tender. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and egg until
- smooth. Beat in mushroom mixture. Add enough cheese sauce to achieve
- a spreadable consistency. In a large bowl, combine the spinach and
- 1/2 cup cheese sauce until blended. Add additional sauce if needed
- to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, on two greased 9-in. ovenproof pie or tart pans, layer a
- crepe, spinach mixture, another crepe, then mushroom mixture. Repeat
- five more times. Pour remaining sauce over the stacks. Sprinkle with
- remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. Dot with remaining butter.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Bake at 350°;
- for 55-60 minutes or until bubbly and golden and a thermometer reads
- 160°. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into wedges.
- Yield: 8-12 servings.
Test Kitchen Tip This dish can also be served at a brunch, luncheon or as a very special side dish.
Be sure to use an attractive ovenproof plate so it can be brought from the oven right to the table. The crepes can be made in advance and frozen, and the dish can be assembled the morning of your party.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 416 calories, 29 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 173 mg cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.