Creole Stuffed Tomatoes
One of my hobbies is cooking and trying out different foods. This recipe is something I created years ago and have made many times since.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + draining Bake: 30 min.
- 6 to 8 large tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound cooked small shrimp
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato; scoop out the discard
- pulp. Sprinkle salt inside the tomatoes; invert on paper towels to
- drain. In a large bowl, combine the rice, bacon, cheese, onion,
- parsley, egg and pepper. Fold in shrimp. Spoon into tomatoes. Place
- in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and
- butter; sprinkle over the tomatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for
- 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 280 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 164 mg cholesterol, 568 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 21 g protein.