Creole Steaks Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- Additional salt and pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, green pepper and celery in
- 2. 2 tablespoons oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt, thyme, cayenne and pepper.
- 3. Add tomatoes and pepper sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and keep warm.
- 4. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper to taste. In another large skillet, cook steaks in remaining oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 steak with 3/4 cup sauce equals 355 calories, 18 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.