- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) pork and beans
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, finely chopped
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon each Cajun seasoning, chili powder, Creole seasoning, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creole Soup
"Excellent soup. I have made this Creole soup with 1/2 lb. of shrimp which changed the taste only slightly. Once, I added 1 more tsp. of Cajun Seasoning and it had a good punch of heat. Since I live the Low Country of SC, I made it adding 1 cup of Okra and sausage. TIP: Use your largest pot for this recipe."
"I omitted the red pepper flakes because I thought it would be to hot....glad I did because it would of been to hot for me. The other spices were just right . GOOD soup"
"Just the right amount of spices in this soup."
"Really good soup! Perfect amount of spice/heat, too. The only change I made to the recipe was to use 4 cups of beef broth in place of 4 c. of the water. I definitely will make it again."
"Best soup recipe that I have came across. I could eat this for ever meal. The only thing i changed was instead of 1tsp of the seasonings i use 1/2 tsp so it is not as spicy."
"Added 3/4 lb of fresh cooked, shelled shrimp, cut into thumbtip sized bits. Enough to add shrimp flavor but not take over. TRULY GREAT"