Creole Skillet Dinner Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, bring the broth, rice, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic, chili powder, salt, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the next seven ingredients and remaining garlic in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until peppers are crisp-tender. Add tomato and peas; heat through. Remove from the heat. Add rice; keep warm.
- 3. In a skillet, cook and stir chicken in lemon juice over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add to rice mixture; toss. Top with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/4 cup equals 491 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,131 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Reviews for Creole Skillet Dinner
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.