Creole Skillet Dinner Recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, bring the broth, rice, onion, 1 teaspoon garlic, chili powder, salt, turmeric, pepper and bay leaf to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the next seven ingredients and remaining garlic in butter for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until peppers are crisp-tender. Add tomato and peas; heat through. Remove from the heat. Add rice; keep warm.
- In a skillet, cook and stir chicken in lemon juice over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add to rice mixture; toss. Top with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creole Skillet Dinner
Sort By :
"This was very good. I used brown rice, so it took longer to cook. My husband says that this recipe is a keeper."
"Made this dinner last night for the family. It was so simple even with the long ingredient list. It's also very versatile so you can tweak it to your families tastes."