Creole Shrimp & Sausage Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and broth to a boil. Stir in the bulgur, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, shrimp, Worcestershire sauce, sausage and remaining Creole seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Fluff bulgur with a fork; serve with sausage mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups sausage mixture with 1/2 cup bulgur: 510 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1287mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 15g fiber), 30g protein.
Reviews for Creole Shrimp & Sausage
"So-so. If I ever make it again, I will serve it over brown and wild rice."
"Have already made it several times! Very good! I add a little bit more creole seasoning, but very yummy!"
"Don't shy away from this recipe, it's one of the best. This restaurant quality dinner is sure to please. Way to go Taste of Home test kitchen. I did not change an ingredient and discovered a new trick, if I slightly freeze the shirmp...they peel and clean much faster and easier."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.