Creole Shrimp & Sausage Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water and broth to a boil. Stir in the bulgur, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown sausage in 1 teaspoon oil. Remove and keep warm.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in remaining oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, shrimp, Worcestershire sauce, sausage and remaining Creole seasoning. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Fluff bulgur with a fork; serve with sausage mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups sausage mixture with 1/2 cup bulgur equals 510 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 1,287 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 15 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.