Creole Shrimp & Rice Recipe
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons savory herb with garlic soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Add shrimp; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
- 3. Freeze option: Stir in shrimp but do not heat through. Cool mixture; freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup shrimp mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 304 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 622 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.