Creole Scallop Cakes Recipe
Experimenting in the kitchen is a passion of mine...a passion I hope to pass along to my daughter. One day I had some scallops and decided to concoct a scallop cake instead of a crab cake. This scrumptious appetizer can be prepare ahead of time. Both the cakes and aioli sauce can be made the day before, then cook the cakes just before serving. Not only will this simplify last-minute prep, but it allows the flavors to infuse into the mixture, making the dish even more yummy. My family and friends love them.—Iisha Leftrdige-Brooks, Sacramento, California
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped leek (white portion only)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 2 teaspoons salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- SPICY HONEY AIOLI:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Place scallops in a food processor; cover and pulse until just pureed. Fold into egg mixture.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parsley and pepper. Drop 2 tablespoons scallop mixture into crumb mixture. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat with remaining mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, apple juice and seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 4. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook patties in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Serve with aioli. Yield: 20 scallop cakes (1-1/2 cups aioli).
1 scallop cake with 1 tablespoon aioli: 169 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Creole Scallop Cakes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC