Creole Sausage and Vegetables Recipe
- 1 pound reduced-fat fully cooked sausage, cut into 1-2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 4 cups frozen cut okra
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, sweet peppers and garlic in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, lemon juice and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- 2. Add okra; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 7 minutes or just until okra is tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups sausage mixture, calculated without rice) equals 227 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 952 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch.