Creole-Poached Chicken Breasts
Aside from a little veggie chopping, this one-dish chicken dinner couldn’t get much easier! A dash of cayenne adds some Creole-style heat to this hearty weeknight meal.
Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the
- onions, celery and pepper in oil until tender. Add the remaining
- ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for
- 10-15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Remove
- chicken; keep warm.
- Return cooking juices to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 8-10 minutes or until most of the sauce is evaporated. Serve with
- chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup sauce equals 220 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 432 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber,