Creole Jambalaya Recipe
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- 2. Add shrimp and parsley; simmer, uncovered, for 7-10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (prepared with margarine and low-sodium tomatoes and beef broth) equals 310 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 154 mg cholesterol, 464 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Creole Jambalaya
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.