Creole Green Beans
Even though our children are grown, my husband and I remain busy. So we rely on speedy recipes that call for everyday ingredients. This peppery treatment really wakes up green beans. It makes enough that we have leftovers, which is helpful since our schedules sometimes keep us from eating together.
Sue Kuhn, Dublin, Ohio
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Cook beans according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet,
- cook bacon, onion and green pepper over medium heat until bacon is
- crisp and vegetables are tender. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Stir the flour, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and
- mustard into the drippings until blended. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to
- a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain beans
- and add to skillet. Stir in bacon mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 110 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 682 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein.