Colorful veggies combine with bay leaf and bacon in this zippy Southern-style side dish from field editor Joyce Turley of Slaughters, Kentucky.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup each chopped green pepper and sweet red pepper
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings.
- Saute onion and peppers in drippings until tender. Add tomatoes and
- bay leaves. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add corn; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until corn is tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in seasonings. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Yield: 4-6 servings.