Creole Butter Beans Recipe
“This is a fantastic way to prepare butter beans, which are full of nutrition and low in fat,” advises Grace Malone of Lafayette, Colorado. “It's great as a side but filling enough to be the main course.”
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over onion mixture and stir until well blended. Cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Gradually whisk in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup equals 113 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 641 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Creole Butter Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC