- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over onion mixture and stir until well blended. Cook 1 minute longer.
- Gradually whisk in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creole Butter Beans in Light & Tasty August/September 2005, p65
Reviews for Creole Butter Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 30, 2012
"My husband and I love this recipe. As the previous reviewer notes, this is not a spicy dish, but the sauce is wonderful. It is great with macaroni and cheese and cornbread."