Creole Black Beans 'n' Sausage
Cheryl Landers can easily add a Louisiana entree to her LaTour, Missouri table any day of the week. “I brown the meat, cut up veggies and measure spices the night before, and then assemble and start it cooking the next morning,” she pens. “When I get home, I make the rice…and dinner is served!”
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Smoked Sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups each chopped onions, celery and green peppers
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain. Transfer
- to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, onion, celery, green
- pepper, water, tomato sauce, garlic, thyme, bouillon, white pepper,
- cayenne and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 344 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,312 mg sodium,