Cremini & Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 large butternut squash (about 5 pounds)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound chopped baby portobello (cremini) mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 55-65 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Cool slightly; carefully scoop out pulp. Place in a food processor with 1 cup broth; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until tender. Add the garlic, thyme and sage; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the nutmeg, squash puree and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil). Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Cremini & Butternut Squash Soup in Country Woman October/November 2009, p37
Reviews for Cremini & Butternut Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 18, 2010
I love this soup. I garnish it with crumbled goat cheese, and use 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme instead of the fresh. Love the texture. That's a whole lot of squash though!
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >