This lightened-up classic from out Test Kitchen is smooth and creamy with a pleasant vanilla flavor. Instead of broiling the sugary sauce on top, we used a foolproof stovetop method so the custard is evenly coated.
5 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, egg whites, milk,
- vanilla and salt; pour into five 6-oz. custard cups. Place cups in a
- baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water to a depth of 1 in. Bake,
- uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Remove from water bath. Cool for 10
- minutes and refrigerate.
- Before serving, in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat water and
- remaining sugar until sugar is melted. Do not stir. When sugar is
- melted, continue to cook until syrup is golden, about 5 minutes,
- swirling pan occasionally. With a spoon, quickly pour over custards,
- tilting cups to coat custard with syrup. Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 each) equals 183 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium,