- 1 package chocolate fudge cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- Shoestring black licorice, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red-hot candies
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter and egg (dough will be stiff). Shape into 1-in. balls.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Spread a heaping teaspoonful of frosting over the bottom of half of the cookies. Place four licorice pieces on each side of cookies for spider legs; top with remaining cookies. For eyes, attach two red-hot candies with frosting to top of spider. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Creepy Spiders
"This was a fun recipe to make for the kids. They loved it."
"a big hit, horribly good!!"
"These were a hit at work, but the dough was too dry. A small amount of added water would have helped. I had to flatten the cookies slightly when they came out of the oven, otherwise they would have stayed as round balls."
"super easy i had these all done in a little over an hour! And me little guy is so excited to take them to school! I could only find red licorice as well. I also did m&m minis for the eyes."
"Went to 8 stores and couldn't find black rope licorice. After I was done cutting up regular licoice, I realzied I could have used pretzel sticks."
"So much fun to make! The kids had a blast. Couldn't find black licorice, red worked great."
"These were so much fun to make and were a great addition to the table. I couldn't find shoestring licorice to save my life, but the red legs worked well with the red eyes."
"so simple that even the littlest ghosts and goblins can help"
"did not have black licorice - so I rolled out tooties roll. = a little work but worked out great."