"If you have patience and strong hands, ready for kneading, I suggest making the fondant yourself." Whether you use store bought or homemade, this artistic cake will get rave reviews.
Katie Molitor, Cedar, MN
- Two-layer cake of your choice (9 inches)
- Frosting of your choice (in a pale color)
- White and dark brown ready-to-use rolled fondant
- New paintbrush
- 1 tablespoon clear McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract or water
- White pearl dragees
- Fresh strawberries
- Place cake on a serving platter; spread frosting between layers and
- over top and sides of cake (save 2 teaspoons frosting for decorating
- Roll out white fondant into a 16-in. circle; place over cake. Smooth
- top and sides of cake; trim excess. (Keep unused fondant wrapped in
- plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.)
- Roll brown fondant into 16-in. x 4-in. rectangle; cut with a 3-in. x
- 2-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Dip paintbrush in vanilla;
- lightly brush over a diamond. Secure diamond to side of cake.
- Repeat. Decorate with dragees, securing with reserved frosting. Top
- with strawberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.