"If you have patience and strong hands, ready for kneading, I suggest making the fondant yourself." Whether you use store bought or homemade, this artistic cake will get rave reviews. Katie Molitor, Cedar, MN
Recommended: 30 Creative Birthday Cakes
- Two-layer cake of your choice (9 inches)
- Frosting of your choice (in a pale color)
- White and dark brown ready-to-use rolled fondant
- New paintbrush
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract or water
- White pearl dragees
- Fresh strawberries
- Place cake on a serving platter; spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake (save 2 teaspoons frosting for decorating cake).
- Roll out white fondant into a 16-in. circle; place over cake. Smooth top and sides of cake; trim excess. (Keep unused fondant wrapped in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.)
- Roll brown fondant into 16-in. x 4-in. rectangle; cut with a 3x2-in. diamond-shaped cookie cutter. Dip paintbrush in vanilla; lightly brush over a diamond. Secure diamond to side of cake. Repeat. Decorate with dragees, securing with reserved frosting. Top with strawberries. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Creative Cake in Taste of Home April/May 2010, p23
Reviews for Creative Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 24, 2014
"this looks yummy just how it looks"
Reviewed May. 31, 2010
"Is there a recipe for fondant close by? This cake takes a little work, but it is worth it as it is beautiful and delicious. Yes I would make it again."