Creamy Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Whenever I make this soup in the morning, it's gone by evening! Friends and family alike rave about the unbeatable combination of down-home flavors.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute rice in oil over medium heat, for 5 minutes. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35 minutes (rice will not be completely cooked). Drain, reserving 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid; set rice and liquid aside separately.
- 2. In the same kettle, saute the onion, celery and carrot in butter until onion is crisp-tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Gradually add broth and cooking liquid; stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes, stirring constantly or until thickened. Add the cream, ham, rosemary, pepper and reserved rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 334 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC