Creamy Wild Rice Soup
Angie Schramm from Yankton, South Dakota makes this comforting soup year-round...and after a few spoonfuls, you'll likely do the same. Pecans, ham and carrots are a few of the ingredients that will have you asking for more.
8 ServingsPrep: 50 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- Green onion, cut into thin strips, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add rice. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 50-55 minutes or until tender. Remove
- from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the onions, carrot and
- pecans in butter for 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Reduce heat. Add the ham, pepper and wild rice.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Reduce heat. Add cream and heat through (do not boil). Sprinkle with