- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. If desired, top with tortilla chips, cheese and jalapenos. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Creamy White Chili
"Had to try this when I saw how many reviews it had! I left out the whipping cream. It turned out really great!"
"Wow, this is a winner! Very tasty, with just the right amount of heat. After cooking the chicken and onions on the stove, I put everything in my Crock Pot for 4 hours on Low. I was using fat-free sour cream, so I mixed that with 2 tbsp. of cornstarch to keep it from separating. And I didn't have any heavy cream, so I left that out, but it was plenty creamy without it. I wouldn't change anything else; we really loved this recipe."
"I love it, everyone in my home loves it, and I have been asked for the recipe many times. I have to triple the recipe for my family. It is very easy to make."
"This a an awesome recipe... I shredded my chicken and it was even better the second day....Whole family and staff loved it... Would not change a thing...."
"Good recipe. But on day 2 you need to serve the rest or freeze it. chicken only tastes good for max of 2 days"
"Easy to prepare, great alternative to standard chili receipt! I add sour cream later on once it is served, otherwise fantastic receipt!"
"This is a wonderfully rich and creamy chili that is quite different from other white chili recipes I've tasted. It has been a hit every time I've made it. I made two changes to the original recipe based on the reviews I read here. I add a third can of northern beans and mash them to add thickness to the chili. Also, instead of cooking a pound of boneless chicken breasts, I use the breast meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken (Costco, in my case). The breast meat is already seasoned, so no need for the garlic powder and canola oil. I dice up the meat into 1/4" cubes - a little smaller than the original recipe. One of the easiest chilis I've ever made and so delicious!"
"I loved this recipe! I added some red pepper flakes, and probably would add a little more next time. It does come out a little soupy, so I may try smashing some of the beans next time or using a little less broth. The sour cream and heavy cream added to the wonderful flavor, I served over brown rice which was a fantastic pair."