- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. If desired, top with tortilla chips, cheese and jalapenos. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Creamy White Chili
"Delicious! This is definitely one of our favorites!"
"I won yet another chili cook-off with this recipe last weekend. It's a keeper for sure!!!"
"This is a great recipe as written; family loved it. I want to make this without the beans as my husband is on a special diet that allows basically no fiber. I am thinking of using pork in place of chicken and white potatoes in place of beans. Wondering if anyone has changed it around like this? As long as the flavor is there I would think this would work. Any suggestions are appreciated!"
"Had to try this when I saw how many reviews it had! I left out the whipping cream. It turned out really great!"
"Wow, this is a winner! Very tasty, with just the right amount of heat. After cooking the chicken and onions on the stove, I put everything in my Crock Pot for 4 hours on Low. I was using fat-free sour cream, so I mixed that with 2 tbsp. of cornstarch to keep it from separating. And I didn't have any heavy cream, so I left that out, but it was plenty creamy without it. I wouldn't change anything else; we really loved this recipe."
"I love it, everyone in my home loves it, and I have been asked for the recipe many times. I have to triple the recipe for my family. It is very easy to make."
"This a an awesome recipe... I shredded my chicken and it was even better the second day....Whole family and staff loved it... Would not change a thing...."