- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the beans, broth, chilies and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and cream. If desired, top with tortilla chips, cheese and jalapenos. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Creamy White Chili
"Delicious !! I loved it because it skips the tomatoes which I'm tired of lately every quick dish is buried in tomato sauce.Had to improvise, only had 1 can of chilies, added a tsp of chipotle to make up for it.1 half breast wasn't a pound 2 was a little over. The extra bit of meat was a bonus.Don't always have heavy cream on hand, had to leave it out but used a bit of whole milk.Served it with crispy garlic Texas Toast.This is worth expanding for a crowd. It's a nice change from red chili that seems to be the rage."
"Make this! You'll be happy you did."
"I created an account simply to post this review. That's how good this chili is! I made it as described, and it was seriously amazing! I personally wouldn't change a thing. I plan on making it again this weekend for out of town family that'll be staying with us. Don't hesitate to make this!"
"This was just OK. It wasn't bad but I thought it was missing something (corn? cilantro? not sure what). I gave it 4 stars because of the ease of the recipe. Not sure how this recipe wins cook-off's though..."
"I used canned chicken - even faster and easier. A new family favorite!"
"Delicious! This is definitely one of our favorites!"
"I won yet another chili cook-off with this recipe last weekend. It's a keeper for sure!!!"
"This is a great recipe as written; family loved it. I want to make this without the beans as my husband is on a special diet that allows basically no fiber. I am thinking of using pork in place of chicken and white potatoes in place of beans. Wondering if anyone has changed it around like this? As long as the flavor is there I would think this would work. Any suggestions are appreciated!"