Creamy Veggie Meatballs Recipe
“My gang has enjoyed this comfort food for years. The kids don’t even know they’re getting veggies. It’s delicious over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes.” —Kathy Hinton, Gilbert, Arizona
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2/3 cup shredded potato
- 1/3 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- Mashed potatoes
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil in small batches; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the soups and milk; pour over meatballs.
Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with mashed potatoes; garnish with parsley if desired.
Freeze option: Cook meatballs until a thermometer reads 160°; cool completely before assembling. Cover and freeze without baking. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary until heated through and bubbly. Serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC