“My gang has enjoyed this comfort food for years. The kids don’t even know they’re getting veggies. It’s delicious over rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes.” —Kathy Hinton, Gilbert, Arizona
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2/3 cup shredded potato
- 1/3 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- Mashed potatoes
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil in small batches; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the soups and milk; pour over meatballs.
Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with mashed potatoes; garnish with parsley if desired.
Freeze option: Cook meatballs until a thermometer reads 160°; cool completely before assembling. Cover and freeze without baking. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary until heated through and bubbly. Serve as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Veggie Meatballs in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011, p55
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Veggie Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review