Creamy Vegetable Chowder Recipe
This rich, comforting soup recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. You can lower the fat content by using turkey bacon, vegetable broth and skim milk. It's delicious either way. —Suzanna VandeBrake, Peyton, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 1 hour YIELD:12 servings
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 large onions
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium parsnips
- 2 small turnips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 small red potatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Chop the onions, carrots, celery, parsnips and turnips; add to the pan. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until fragrant.
- 2. Sprinkle vegetables with flour, salt and cayenne; stir until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sweet potato, potatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce.
- 3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream and parsley; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 205 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 956 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC