Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
A traditional cooked custard base is the key to this creamy ice cream with rich vanilla flavor. "It is a family favorite that has been handed down and enjoyed for generations," writes Mary Thompson of Minneapolis, Minnesota. "Whenever we serve it, we get lots of requests for the recipe."
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Cook over
- medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick
- enough to coat a metal spoon and reaches at least 160°. Remove
- from the heat; cool quickly by setting pan in ice and stirring the
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze immediately. When ready to
- freeze, pour custard and vanilla into the cylinder of an ice cream
- freezer. Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Yield:
- about 1-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 303 calories, 23 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white