Creamy Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup (calculated without sprinkles) equals 227 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 70 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.