Creamy Turnip Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- 2. Add turnips, broth and potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a food processor, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream, salt and nutmeg; heat through.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add spinach; cook and stir just until wilted. Serve with soup. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 138 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Creamy Turnip Soup
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.