- 2 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sherry, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring first five ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool.
- Puree mixture in a food processor or blender; set aside. In the same saucepan, saute fresh tomatoes in butter for 5 minutes. Stir in flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually add cream and stir over low heat until thickened. Stir in pureed mixture and sherry if desired. Yield: about 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Tomato Bisque
Sort By :
"I searched through four or five different tomato bisque recipes and this is the one I cooked...to astounding accolades by children and adults alike at our dinner for five last night. It may make six servings, but with ladle-sized seconds all around, we finished every last drop! That makes the chef happy! I added two extra fresh tomatoes to the first part that gets pur?ed just because I had four. Delicious! Thank you! I will use your site again."
"We made this on a snowy night when I hadn't planned on making dinner. Fortunately, all of the ingredients are items I normally have in the house. The recipe was easy to make - ready in about a 1/2 hour. I like the smooth creamy soup - just enough tangy-ness to get the tomato flavor. I omitted the sherry and grated a bit of fresh parmesan cheese over the top of each bowl and served with nice crusty grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum! Will definitely make again."
"Excellent Tomato Bisque soup, my husband and I love this flavorful soup. I will be making this often. I did not use the optional sherry. Thank you for a great recipe."
"Outstanding! Only did one thing different. I use a can of diced tomatoes with oregano, basil and garlic because that's all I had. I did not use the optional sherry. Tasted SO close to my favorite restaurant version I was thrilled! I will make this time and time again! Highly recommend."
"I had a Tomato Bisque soup at a restaurant and I loved it. When I went to duplicate it I found this recipe, it is so close and so good!"