Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
I created this soup while trying to duplicate one I enjoyed at a restaurant in Philadelphia. It isn’t exactly right, but it’s close! My husband and I love this soup on cold nights with a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s so easy to make that we often have it on weeknights, and I also serve it during Lent.
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the cream, sherry or additional broth, basil and sugar. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 182 calories, 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC