Creamy Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
I created this soup while trying to duplicate one I enjoyed at a restaurant in Philadelphia. It isn’t exactly right, but it’s close! My husband and I love this soup on cold nights with a grilled cheese sandwich. It’s so easy to make that we often have it on weeknights, and I also serve it during Lent.
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, broth, water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, sherry or additional broth, basil and sugar. Cook for 1 minute or until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Tomato Basil Soup in Country April/May 2006, p51
Reviews for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review